The reentrancy structure?

H. Peter Anvin hpa@zytor.com
Sun Jul 14 10:08:00 GMT 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> And other than 0,1,2 I don't think you will find a lot of software
> depending
> on whether the next number in the sequence is 20 or 3.  Jeff is 0-2
> POSIX,
> ISO C, history or a mix at this point?  I know it was that way back in
> the
> dark ages of System 7 when an 8086 looked like a multi-user computer. :)

It's POSIX, and they're not deprecated.  POSIX specifies that open() and
dup() returns the lowest available integer, and of cource FILENO_STDIN
== 0, FILENO_STDOUT == 1, FILENO_STDERR == 2.

I ended up having to implement POSIX-style file descriptors, after all;
the main reason was that newlib apparently expects that file descriptors
fit in a "short" :(

	-hpa