Re: bug report: sscanf problem with cygwin 1.3.1-1

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> Confirmed. I used vsscanf() as my test case, but all *scanf() functions
> in newlib call the same workhorse function, __svfscanf_r().
>
> It looks like there is a problem handling decimal points in __svfscanf_r
> (newlib/libc/stdio/vfscanf.c line 227) but I can't find it by inspection
> and I don't have a debuggable cygwin1.dll handy.  There have been a few
> changes in that code lately, but look at the recent diffs doesn't show
> any reason why decimal point handling would stop working.
>
> Can somebody with a debuggable version of newlib/cygwin1 try to track
> this down -- Mark's sample code should generate a nice simple test case
> with which to gdb the newlib code.  Meanwhile, I'll start a debuggable
> kernel build...

I have tried a few other platforms as I am having strange problems with my Cygwin build.

First of all, I found a problem whereby the _strtod_r prototype was missing which caused the mn10300
build to fail the test case.  I have checked in a patch for this and it works fine.  The mn10300
differs from Cygwin in that it doesn't set the WANT_IO_LONG_DBL flag on when building.  Thus, it
uses strtod rather than strtold as its workhorse.

I also noticed that there was a warning about a local variable that may not be initialized so I have
also checked in a patch for that just in case.

With that last patch I built a static i686 linux build and set the WANT_IO_LONG_DBL flag to true
when building vfprintf.o and vfscanf.o.  The test case runs successfully and I am also able to run
Stephen Moshier's ieeetst with no errors.

The ChangeLogs for the two patchs are:

2001-04-27  Jeff Johnston  <jjohnstn@redhat.com>

        * libc/stdio/vfscanf.c (__svfscanf_r): Initialize new_exp local var.

2001-04-27  Jeff Johnston  <jjohnstn@redhat.com>

        * libc/include/stdlib.h: Add prototype for _strtod_r.

If I am able, I will look into it further on the weekend.

-- Jeff J.