LargeFile Support in Cygwin/Newlib

What do I need to do to embed largefile support in Cygwin. What kind of
options do I need to use to make it work:

Here is what I have tried so far:

1)	Compiled fileutils package with -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE and
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. The newly installed ls program correctly reports the
file size.
2)	Tried to do the same with tar program. It does not work and
complains by issuing the following message:
a.	Tar: Octal value '34251733654' is out of range for off_t.
3)	I tried to compile the newlib and winsup packages and the header
files generated still do not contain the changes that are specified in the
Large file support specification draft 007.  I tried to use the same defines
as described in 1.
a.	Ex: off_t is still generated as type long, but the type blkcnt_t is
not generated in sys/types.h or any other files that it includes.
4)	Any pointers will be very helpful. Thanks