Re: any plans for an "official" newlib snapshot ?

J. Johnston wrote:
> This has to be fixed.

Okay. What about the libc/sys/linux directory ? There's a bit of i386
assembler (for shared libs), but it's only included if __i386__ is
defined. It may be possible to build a non-i386 non-shared newlib on
Linux with the files in libc/sys/linux, so I think we could keep the
name for now.

> For now, it should be only be i[3456]86-pc-linux-*, especially
> since you specify i386 defines.

BTW, what does the "pc" in there mean ? In the Linux kernel, we don't
really have this type of sub-architecture distinction for i386 (and even
architectures where we do, e.g. ARM, usually look uniform to user space),
and there are no elements specific to PC hardware in newlib that I'm
aware of.

I've also added uname(2) and removed the nostdlib-related options. The
latter eliminates the dependency on newlib-flags (from the package),
but increases the risk that libc headers are accidently included
(which is mainly of concern during newlib development).

New patch and package in
ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/people/almesber/misc/newlib-linux/
  patch-newlib-linux-17.gz
  newlib-linux-17.tar.gz

- Werner

 / Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH           Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch /