Re: Discussing a helper class to migrate from JUnit

Hello Audrius,
AFAIK a solution that allows JUnit tests being run as part of mauve is frequently discussed here but there was no result yet.

Former discussions could IMHO not solve this problem:
JUnit uses reflection and therefore depends on a stable support for this mechanism. Mauve as a framework for testing the basic functionality of a VM could therefore not depend on a working reflection API.

Despite from that I like the idea of faking a JUnit environment to run such tests. However that environment should be created with only minimal dependency on the VM.

My suggestion is that for each testcase TC you have to:
* scan the class file of TC with something like javap
* generate Java source code that calls the public methods of TC, call that an adapter class AC
* compile the AC
* run the mauve test via the AC

These are only basic thoughts.

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:

Hello,

Following the rules of the Mauve project, I would like to discuss the following addition to Mauve before submission:

Motivation:
JUnit is another popular testing suite. Some people may already have a JUnit tests written and need to adapt them for Mauve. Some code generators produce tests for JUnit and not for Mauve. In this context, it seems good to have an additional helper class for easier conversion of JUnit TestCase into Mauve Testlet. It is possible to have the individual helper class as a part of the test itself. However it may be better to have it in a more public place where it could be shared.

Suggestion:
1. The JUnit TestCase calls static methods like assertTrue(..), assertEquals(..) and so on. The helper class can have the identically named non-static methods, just delegating the call to the current instance of TestHarness.

I think that the helper class to live in the same package as the real JUnit classes.

2. The JUnit TestCase has a multiple public non static parameterless methods, starting with test.... These methods are found and called using reflection. The helper class can do just the same.

IMHO reflection is considered high-tech which may be broken/unsupported on a VM.

cu Robert