Re: Packaging mauve for debian

>>>>> "Grzegorz" == Grzegorz Prokopski <gadek@debian.org> writes:

Grzegorz> I am packaging mauve for debian as I want to use it for testing
Grzegorz> SableVM (http://www.sablevm.org) while porting to other arches.

Ok.

Grzegorz> 1. I will need to (pre)compile the tests. I used this:
Grzegorz> for one in `find . -name \*.java`; do javac $one ; done;

You should really use the existing build environment.
One problem with precompiling Mauve is that then you need a new
mechanism for deciding what tests to run.  Mauve was built (some would
say mistakenly) to decide what tests to run at build time.

Grzegorz> It gives me some errors about semantics in about 3 source files,
Grzegorz> but I belive they're there just becasue mauve is work in progress.

Please send a report.  I don't think anything in Mauve should
miscompile.

Grzegorz> 2. After I gather the tests (into some directories in filesystem,
Grzegorz> or maybe some zip or jar? - anything against it?) I will have
Grzegorz> to run them. Is there any other script besides makefile
Grzegorz> that is capable of running the tests when they're put into
Grzegorz> specified directory?

You can always run the test harness by hand.
The hard part is computing the list of tests to run, and this can't be
done without the source code around.

We run the tests from Makefile like this:

        cat classes | \
	CLASSPATH=$$CLASSPATH:`/bin/pwd` $(JAVA) gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness $(TESTFLAGS)

So there's nothing special; just running a java program.

Grzegorz> 3. It doesn't seem that make install does anything useful? right?

Right.

Grzegorz> The goal for me (and for enduser) would be to have a script
Grzegorz> which can run all of the tests on current JVM (java command)
Grzegorz> or specified test if given as argument.

Not every test is appropriate for every JVM.  JVMs differ in library
coverage.

However, you could compute a complete list pretty easily.
SimpleTestHarness already can run any subset of the tests.

Tom