Re: Soname bump

Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On 08/15/2011 07:35 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
>> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:
>>
>>> Yes, but that will mean that packages will be broken by the libffi update,
>>> so the Fedora update mechanism will have to push new versions to hundreds
>>> of thousands (millions?) of users.  If I change the libffi package I don't
>>> think there's any way to confine the soname bump to ARM, even though only
>>> ARM needs it.
>>
>> Andrew and I just discussed this on IRC, the result of which is that I
>> just reversed the ABI changing fix from the git libffi repo, and will
>> try to push out 3.0.10 this week in order to publish a Fedora 15 update.
>>
>> Then I'll immediately re-apply this patch to the 3.0.11 train for F16.
>
> and having two libffi5's with a different set of symbols?

That's not what I'm saying. libffi 3.0.10 would have the same set of
symbols as 3.0.9 and also have the .5 so version number.

Matthias and I just discussed this on #libffi.  He pointed out that 361
packages in Ubuntu depend on libffi and he's been building them with the
libffi 3.0.10 release candidates for a while.  Forcing him back to a .5
soname means forcing a rebuild of all of those packages, so...  I'll
make a 3.0.11 on the heals of 3.0.10 with just the debug symbol / soname
change so that Ubuntu can pick this up and avoid a major rebuild.  I'll
see about putting 3.0.11 into Fedora 16 as well.

AG