Re: Soname bump

On 08/15/2011 04:36 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

>>> Some debug functions that have should never have been exported were
>>> removed from production builds a few months ago (src/debug.c).  It's
>>> highly unlikely anybody was using them, but I wanted to stick with the
>>> rules defined in libtool-version.  Here's the ChangeLog entry...
>>>
>>> 2011-02-11  Anthony Green  <green@moxielogic.com>
>>>
>>> 	* libtool-version: Update.
>>> 	* Makefile.am (nodist_libffi_la_SOURCES): Add src/debug.c if
>>> 	FFI_DEBUG.
>>> 	(libffi_la_SOURCES): Remove src/debug.c
>>> 	(EXTRA_DIST): Add src/debug.c
>>> 	* Makefile.in: Rebuilt.
>>
>> Oh, I see.  This is a PITA because we need a new libffi for ARM Fedora 15 --
>> the old libffi doesn't work -- but we can't change the soname in the
>> Fedora package.  I'm not sure exactly what to do.
>
> What's the issue with bumping the soname?  Can't you just rebuild
> dependencies?

Yes, but that will mean that packages will be broken by the libffi update,
so the Fedora update mechanism will have to push new versions to hundreds
of thousands (millions?) of users.  If I change the libffi package I don't
think there's any way to confine the soname bump to ARM, even though only
ARM needs it.

Andrew.