Re: Variadic functions and libffi

On 6 January 2011 15:03, Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> wrote:
> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Paging Anthony Green: I never understood why libffi didn't deal with
>> varargs -- was it a conscious design decision, or just something you
>> never got around to?
>
> It was not a conscious design decision. ?None of the major libffi users
> have ever required support for variadic calls, or if they did, none of
> the supported ABIs required any special support.

There is a big difference between those two cases; if none of the ffi
users actually call variadic functions there isn't a strong case to make the
change.   If there are users out there but they work on the current
architectures
then it's worth changing. Hence I'd really like to hear from any users.

> ?The hard-float ARM ABI
> appears to be the first.
>
> Marcus and I discussed his ideas a few weeks ago and patches are
> definitely welcome.

OK, I'll do it - and post a patch here when I'm done; it should be a few
weeks or so.

Dave