Re: [Python-Dev] (libffi) Re: Copyright issue

Hye-Shik Chang <hyeshik@gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/28/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin@v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> > Can anyone of the python-dev core team comment: can we live with the GPL
>> > licensed aclocal.m4 file, in the source distribution and in SVN?
>>
>> My understanding that doing so would be in violation of section 2b) of
>> the GPL.
>>
>> However, I still think it is possible to include libffi - we just have
>> to discard the build process, and do our own.
>>

> I did some work to make ctypes+libffi compacter and liberal.
> http://openlook.org/svnpublic/ctypes-compactffi/  (svn)
>
> I removed sources/gcc and put sources/libffi copied from gcc 4.0.2.
> And removed all automake-related build processes and integrated
> them into setup.py. There's still aclocal.m4 in sources/libffi. But
> it is just identical to libffi's acinclude.m4 which looks liberal.

That's great!  Would you like to integrate these changes into to ctypes
CVS repository yourself?  I indend to do a few releases still from
there, before the first Python 2.5.  If so, please tell me your SF
username and I'll add you as developer.

Also, please note that all work should be done on the 'branch_1_0' CVS
branch - the HEAD is only experimental code (and not currently used).

Thomas