Re: Non-gcc releases

On 25-mrt-04, at 21:58, Thomas Heller wrote:

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

Etienne recently brought up the idea of changing libffi maintenance
and/or releases so that it isn't tied to the GCC release schedule.

I think we can do this, it just requires someone willing to do the
work.

I would be willing to help, but I'm not sure how.

I'm primairily interested in a version libffi that can be compiled outside of the GCC tree without hacking the configure script and makefiles. Having seperate releases is not very important for me, although this would probably improve the appeal of libffi to other projects.

BTW. I'm the primairy maintainers of PyObjC, which uses libffi to interface Python and Objective-C. I'm very happy that libffi exists, thanks to all involved!

 My background: I'm
the author of the ctypes module for Python, an (hope I can say
'advanced') ffi library with good support for C compatible data types.
This library currently uses libffi for the linux, mac os x and maybe
other systems, and my homegrown stuff for windows.  I would be happy to
also use libffi on Windows, but this requires some hacking to libffi to
support some additional features I need.  Currently I have a hacked
version in my CVS rep.

 It may also require a little bit of buy-in from the GCC SC, I'm
not sure.

I don't understand this: what is 'GCC SC'?

The GCC steering committee.

Thomas

PS: While we're at it, a separate mailing list for libffi would also be
great, it's impossible for me to follow the gcc devel list and locate
the 0.3% posts about libffi ;-)

Same here, I basically don't follow libffi development at all unless I run into problems.

Ronald