This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libc-ports project.
benchmark improvements (Was: Re: [PATCH] sysdeps/arm/armv7/multiarch/memcpy_impl.S: Improve performance.)
- From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>
- To: Will Newton <will dot newton at linaro dot org>
- Cc: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>, "libc-ports at sourceware dot org" <libc-ports at sourceware dot org>, Patch Tracking <patches at linaro dot org>, OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 19:50:37 +0530
- Subject: benchmark improvements (Was: Re: [PATCH] sysdeps/arm/armv7/multiarch/memcpy_impl.S: Improve performance.)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <520894D5 dot 7060207 at linaro dot org> <CANu=DmiBHoymFKTvaW_VsdhWZEYwkfViz1tTeRgj7H80f0FntA at mail dot gmail dot com> <5220D30B dot 9080306 at redhat dot com> <CANu=DmiXLL9v1Z1KS0sBOs-pL8csEUGc9YE829_-tidKd-GruQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <5220F1F0 dot 80501 at redhat dot com> <CANu=DmhA9QvSe6RS72Db2P=yyjC72fsE8d4QZKHEcNiwqxNMvw at mail dot gmail dot com>
Adding libc-alpha since my comments on this are more suitable there -
maybe we should just get rid of the ports mailing list altogether.
On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 02:58:23PM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
> The key advantage of the cortex-strings framework is that it allows
> graphing the results of benchmarks. Often changes to string function
> performance can only really be analysed graphically as otherwise you
> end up with a huge soup of numbers, some going up, some going down and
> it is very hard to separate the signal from the noise.
We already depend on gd-devel to draw graphs for memusagestat. Maybe
we could leverage that in the microbenchmark as well and come up with
html reports rather than just a bench.out? Graphs in general are a
lot more readable and I agree that they would be the next logical
improvement to the benchmark framework.
> The glibc benchmarks also have some other weaknesses that should
> really be addressed, hopefully I'll have some time to write patches
> for some of this work.
I know Ondrej had proposed a few improvements as well. I'd like to
see those reposted so that we can look at it and if possible, have
them merged in.