Re: Phone call (was Re: Armhf dynamic linker path)

On Thursday 12 April 2012 13:53:13 Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 01:49:16PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > ia64 installs in /lib, because it isn't a multilibbed architecture.
> >
> > because distros choose not to support it.  in first gen chips, there was
> > hardware support for running x86.  so if we were to be strict, there
> > should have been /libia64/ (or whatever) while the current x86 32bit
> > code would stay in /lib/.  but no distro was interested in supporting
> > that (probably due to the 32bit x86 layers being balls-ass slow), so it
> > never happened.
>
> We even carried patches (not applied) for lib64 ia64 support in our
> binutils/glibc/gcc for a while, but the final decision after these were
> written was that it is going to stay in /lib.

true, it would have been /lib64/ since the hardware doesn't the 64bit
extensions for x86.  but i think the point still stands that using /lib/ for
the new hardfloat ABI is OK rather than needing to go the /libhf/ multilib
route.

and, if it turns out that we were being too optimistic and we do actually want
soft/hard float multilib, i don't think this will be a blocker.  as mentioned,
the s390x guys have been bad and it hasn't been a blocker for s390/s390x
multilib with them :).
-mike