[arm] bits/atomic.h

> /* Atomic compare and exchange.  These sequences are not actually atomic;
>    there is a race if *MEM != OLDVAL and we are preempted between the two
>    swaps.  However, they are very close to atomic, and are the best that a
>    pre-ARMv6 implementation can do without operating system support.
>    LinuxThreads has been using these sequences for many years.  */

Surely we can at least use the gcc builtins, which fall back to the kernel support.  Leaving this as-is just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Although perhaps this should be part of a general cleanup of these headers using the gcc atomic builtins (gcc 4.7) or sync builtins (prior).  I assume we don't actually support too many older versions of gcc...

r~