This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the libc-ports project.

Re: gcc vs. glibc bootstrapping of libgcc_eh.a

On 11/9/2011 12:28 PM, Linas Vepstas wrote:
I've run into a bootstrapping issue which I'd like to solve
"the right way", instead of continuing to hack around it.

Briefly: I can't build glibc without libgcc_eh.a, which is
provided by gcc. However, libgcc_eh.a is not built, unless
I configure gcc with --enable-shared. But doing so causes
gcc to attempt to build, which fails because it
wants to link to, which hasn't been built yet.  And
so it goes....

The "obvious" fix, to me, is to change the libgcc/
to always build libgcc_eh.a (and install it) Would such a
patch be acceptable?

BTW, this is for the "hexagon" architecture, being cross-built.
Perhaps there's some other work-around that I missed...

(our current work-around is to build uClibc first, install
that, and then finish building gcc, then build glibc. Seems
pretty yucky to me.)

Take a look at the "gcc and glibc from scratch" section of . I don't know if this will handle your problem, but we do end up with libgcc_eh.a when the dust settles, and it avoids having to build uClibc :-)

Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.