Re: asm-generic/unistd.h and glibc use of NR_ipc

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 09:05:13 Chris Metcalf wrote:
> > On 9/28/2010 4:40 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > Chris Metcalf is using the generic unistd.h file on the tile architecture
> > > and has a glibc port that should be easily portable to all future
> > > architectures. There are a few of them getting ready to be merged
> > > now (c6x, lm32, nios2, and some people have contacted me privately
> > > for architectures I cannot name).
>
> c6x lacks a MMU, so i dont see how it could possibly use glibc.  same for
> lm32.  nios2 at least has an optional MMU, so it'd be usable some of the time.
> so no, i dont see a generic unistd.h glibc port being useful for them.

A generic port would be useful for new architectures with MMU - but the
notion that "only rudimentary architecture support in glibc would be
needed" is mistaken.  Note Chris's figures "another 30-odd files in
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/tile to implement the non-NPTL part of our glibc
support, plus 50-odd files in sysdeps/tile" - hardly rudimentary.  Those
seem the right order of magnitude, if larger than the minimum; the Nios II
port currently has 59 new files in sysdeps directories, most of which I
expect would still be needed with the generic syscall ABI.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com