Re: glibc alpha patches

On Friday 16 January 2009 10:28:56 Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:41:50AM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
> >>  For ports I believe the rules do not really differ from the rest of the
> >> GNU core software, that is GCC, GDB and binutils.  For orphan
> >> architectures as long as it follows the GNU coding standard, builds and
> >> passes regression-testing
>
> (And is covered by a valid copyright assignment.)

i have one via work for Blackfin work, but i dont think that covers glibc and
i think it may only be for stuff that i can say is for Blackfin work ?
writing patches for alpha clearly doesnt fall into that category :)

> >> I can see no reason for a patch not to be
> >> applied by anyone with the write privilege who happens to have some time
> >> to spare.  And skilled contributors may become maintainers of such if
> >> they wish to, like with the pieces mentioned above.  Anyone to disagree?
> >
> > Do you (Maciej, Mike) know anyone who really knows the answer and someone
> > with commit access? So we could CC: these people? Else it seems nobody is
> > going to answer - it seems.
>
> At least Roland, myself, and Joseph have write access.  But I don't
> know anything about Alpha, so I have been reluctant to commit patches
> I don't understand.

i certainly dont claim to be an alpha expert, but i have access to alpha
hardware (personal and through Gentoo) and there are people in Gentoo i can
bounce questions off of.  your reluctance is certainly understandable, but the
alpha port as it stands today is already broken and needs patches to build let
alone actually run properly.  (dont take that statement to mean i think you
should be committing these patches because you have write access ... i'm just
reiterating the facts)
-mike