Re: NPTL for hppa-linux is not backwards compatible with Linuxthreads.

On 19/02/07, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
>> if the breakage is just in pthreads, i dont think the libc ABI needs to be
>> bumped, just the pthread one ?  libc provides look ahead stub functions for
>> pthreads, so it shouldnt be affected by the breakage you've mentioned with
>> static lock initializers ...
>>
>> libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread.so.1
>
> While it's definetly Ubuntu and Debian's problem, not upstream's,
> libpthread is bundled in the "libc6" package.  Bumping just the
> libpthread version will make packaging hard for those distros.  If
> there are other ABI breaking moves that need to be done that would
> cause a bump from libc6, doing them now would help sidestep the
> problem.

Well I am thinking in splitting out libpthread.so.X from the libc6
package if the ABI breakage is confirmed. This is still a very
complicated transition, but I think far less packages are affected.

Well, the ABI breakage is confirmed. I just remember people siting some other corner case problems with the ABI they wanted to change. Now would be a great time to change it all over if we need to do this.

I am a bit busy right now, but I think we should put our transition
ideas (at least for Debian, and probably Ubuntu) on a wiki, for example
http://wiki.debian.org/HppaNptlTransition

Sounds good. I've added doko to the cc: list.

--
Jeff Bailey - http://www.raspberryginger.com/jbailey/