This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libc-ports project.
Re: [PATCH] power-cpu add-on for --with-cpu
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- Cc: Steven Munroe <munroesj at us dot ibm dot com>, libc-ports at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:35:24 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] power-cpu add-on for --with-cpu
Steven's code is for fancy --with-cpu configurations. These are not now
supported by the core glibc effort. If they continue not to be, but people
are interested in using this code, then it would make sense for it to live
in the ports repository. This is new code and it is too early to say where
it should live in the future.
For any new code of this nature, a fine way to make it usable to others to
try it out is to put it in an add-on. Anyone can easily distribute a small
add-on tarball to let others build and test it in their glibc builds. I
told Steven this would be the best way to publish his code to start with.
I probably recommended libc-ports as a good place to ask questions about
the mechanics of making an add-on of this sort, and perhaps to find people
interested in reviewing add-on source code. I don't know why Steven
decided to post his new add-on labelled "[PATCH]" and in patch form.