Re: CLDR locales support in glibc

On 2016-05-05 15:15, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Rostislav Devyatov
> <deviatov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, I've just noticed a different thing, which I didn't know (or
>> didn't pay attention to) when I asked my first question. This is
>> not a problem for me, this is just a "remark for the general
>> discussion of support for en_NL or CLDR's en_150".
>>

> I'm glad there is an immediate solution, but I also think the
> broader discussion is important.  I'm still mulling over a reply
> addressing the bigger question.

To get it 100% right in all cases, if you want to only pick one locale
for all locale categories, we'd probably need en_* locales for every
single country.

But please note that you can set different locales for different
categories. In Ubuntu the GUIs support a distinction between "language"
(basically the display language) and "regional formats", i.e. the
country specific conventions for date/time format, currency etc.

An example, to get the idea:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_TIME=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=nl_NL.UTF-8

This kind of locale configuration has proved to be handy.

The alternative, an inflation of e.g. en_* locales, has probably its
downsides.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj