Re: LC_ADDRESS and other locale updates [was: sr_ME locale country_isbn and int_prefix fix]

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Jakub Bogusz <jakub@bogusz.priv.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 05:25:31PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
>> I looked at your first patch
>>
>> Fill in country_{car,isbn} for aa_ET.

>> I am not 100% sure, but I was under the impression from looking at
>> other locales that country_isbn was a simple numeric value and not
>> quoted and converted into Unicode points.
>>
>> Am I correct in this?
>
> I can't see any consistency in (upstream) glibc.
> Among 45 locales containing country_isbn field:
> - 23 have numeric value unquoted
> - 11 have numeric value in quotes
> - 11 have value coded in Unicode points
>
> Also note that some countries have more than one ISBN prefix (there is
> single case in upstream glibc: es_CR locale). Such case (I think) cannot
> be represented as unquoted numeric value.

Jakub,

I am sincerely trying to help you land these patches, not just
nit-picking.  I've completed a review of country_car (for example),
whcih mostly looks fine.  When I look at what I think is the same grep
of the locales dir for "country_ISBN", I see similar numbers, but
interpret them differently.

The 20-odd numeric only locales includes numerous European
lang_country pairs, the most heavily scrutinized locales.

The 11 quoted numerics at least suggest that numeric is the way to go,
and they are primarily minority langs in their specificed countries,
locales that receive far less review.

The 11 Unicode converted includes 4 without quotes (making it 7 and 4
and those 4 are all Chinese locales (suggesting the possibility of a
propagating error).

For me the preponderance of evidence favors unquoted numerics  but as
I originally stated, I am not 100% sure.

Obviously "reading tea leaves" to determine the proper format is an
inexact art at  best.  I have previously bemoaned the lack of a
definitive specification for locales and this example points out the
urgent need for one.

I would love to have the input of a locale old-timer like Keld or one
of the developers to make a call on the country_isbn format question
that we can move forward with.  In the meantime, I will continue
looking over the patches other changes with an eye towards speaking in
favor of committing them once questions are resolved.

cjl