Re: How to add crh.po, and tt@iqtel locale's .po for gettext

Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> it's a
> little strange that @Latn, which appears to be widely used (registered
> in fact, AFAIK), has to be changed to @latin for glibc. Looks like glibc
> requires its own "namespace" in such cases. Does this not cause problems
> when, for instance, a website or a document uses sr-Latn, but glibc has
> an equivalent of sr-latin? I guess even if it doesn't cause any problems
> for the user, it requires a different modifier to be used in glibc, in
> comparison to other possible uses. I tend to think it would be better if
> this wasn't the case.

glibc indeed has its own, defined, naming conventions for locales.
For web sites, the relevant document are
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-i18n-html-tech-lang-20050224/
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ltli-20060612/
Indeed while the basic language codes are the same, thanks to ISO-639,
some conversion is needed between the two naming conventions.

Yes it would be simpler if that distinction wouldn't exist; but the
glibc convention was invented before some people started using "Latn",
"Hans", "Hant" etc. We would have to stick with it even if it was not
a good convention. Actually spelling out the script names is a good
convention.

Bruno