Re: glibc localedata bug reports

[Roland McGrath]
> Locales folks, Dwayne is helping out with general glibc bugzilla triage,
> and picking over the old reports.

Great.  :)

> Dwayne, localedata bugs are something of a special case.  The idea
> is that there are fairly unambiguous objective criteria for
> localedata changes.

Good idea, but in my experience, it is rarely in sync with reality.
In the not too uncommon and fairly lucky case, there are several
standard bodies in a country with competing and different locale
standards (for example norway, were the language authority and the
techical standard body made two slightly different set of rules. :).
In the more common and really unlucky case, there is no published
standard as the country in question have no standard body working on
these issues, or the standard body haven't yet addressed locale
issues.

> The information has to come from published official sources from the
> governments of the localities in question, so competent delegates
> can determine whether changes are appropriate, without further
> review by the glibc maintainers.

I've been unable so far to understand how to do this in a way that is
acceptable by the glibc maintainers, in the absence of "published
official sources from the governments of the localities in question",
and ran out of steam.  I hope Dwayne can take it further. :)