Re: Talk about glibc locale format

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:15:09AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will give a talk about glibc locale data format during Debian
> conference
>   http://www.debconf.org/debconf5/
> next week (10-17th July) at Helsinki.
> The aim of this talk is to give clues about data format so that
> more people are interested in contributing to locale files.
> Slides are available at
>   http://people.debian.org/~barbier/talks/debconf5/glibc-locale.pdf
> I am still polishing them, and will be glad to receive comments.

A few comments:

ISO 14652 was approved as a TR last year.

on page 11, you say that 14652 is not always backwards compatible with
POSIX. Could you give examples? We did try hard to be backwards
compatible.

On page 13, LC_VERSION is mentioned, and some talk about late drafts.
Is that meant to be late drafts of 14652? If so I can assure you that
there has not been anything about changing LC_IDENTIFICATION to
LC_VERSION. If it is not 14652, then I would like to know what it is...

A date of 2004 should mean adherance to ISO TR 14652:2004

Page 26: 14652 is designed to be backwards compatible with POSIX.
That is, if you just have a LC_TIME spec conformant to POSIX,
it will work the same way in 14652. But you can with 14652 set the
first day of the week (In the USA this is Sunday, in most of Europe
this is Monday) and you can set different week numbering behaviours in
14652, which is not possible in POSIX.

Also the issue on the months, 14652 does allow you to specify that you
have 13 months in a year.

I think it is wrong to say that 14652 is not backwards compatible here.
Whether it is controversial could be true, many misunderstandings can
lead to heated discussions:-)

Page 32: Why is .* useles?

People may write "no" or "yes", and the answer will still be recognized.
I know, you and I would never do that, but some newbies could.

Maybe you could mention LC_PAPER - which is probably the most useful of
the new 14652 categories.

Else it is good to see such talks! And I would like if you get comments
on it and probably missing features, if you could post such feedback to
the list.

best regards
keld