Re: Building for older systems

On 11/29/2015 05:05 PM, Ãngel GonzÃlez wrote:
On 29/11/15 15:20, Michael Eager wrote:
I'm trying to build packages (gcc, etc.) on a newer
version of Linux which can run on an older Linux system
with an older glibc.  I've run into the memcpy versioning
problem._2.14
(...)
Any solutions to building for an older glibc?

If you just want to work around the memcpy 2.14 version bump, you can:
a) #define memcpy memmove

That is more or less equivalent to including a .symver for memcpy.

The problem is that this needs to be included in each of many thousands
of source files.

b) Use a memcpy wrapper that explicitely uses the old symbol, as
described in http://stackoverflow.com/a/8862631

This does work, I find strange your claim that ârequirements for
memcpy@GLIBC_2.14 are inherited from libc.soâ.

I haven't investigated where this is happening, but I am linking
object files which do not have dependencies on memcpy@GLIBC_2.14
and the resulting executable does.  Possibly there is a dependency
in crti.o or crtn.o.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077