Question about multiarch (not IFUNC) builds

I have a question about building multiarch GCC toolchains and was hoping
someone could help me understand how toolchains that are currently using
multiarch setups (like debian) are being built.

In these setups libraries are put in directories like /lib64/x86_64-linux-gnu
instead of just /lib64 and I have looked through the glibc configure scripts
and fragements trying to find out where the install process might decide to
put libraries in /lib64/x86_64-linux-gnu instead of just /lib64 but I don't
see anything.

GCC has --enable-multiarch that enables the multiarch functionality and
changes the search paths for system libraries. In glibc I see
--enable-multi-arch but that seems to be about IFUNCS and completely
unrelated to multiarch library paths.  So is there any configure code in glibc
that causes libraries to be placed in 'lib64/x86_64-linux-gnu' instead of
just 'lib64' or are people just moving things after the build or do they have
configure changes that they haven't contributed back to glibc?

Steve Ellcey