Re: question about race:stream in glibc manual

On Nov 19, 2014, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> My apologies, I now see that addmntent is not in POSIX, which means it doesn't
> follow the normal MT-Safe requirement.

Err...  We defined ânormal MT-Safe requirementâ as âuser is responsible
for synchronization on objects of its choiceâ, even if the library helps
with that at times.  This is just one of those cases in which the
library does not help, but the general requirement applies, so, under
this criterion, addmntent is not unsafe just because it doesn't ensure
nobody else uses the stream between seek and write.

> I agree. MT-Safe race:stream is the best option.

I'll consider the patch for addmntent docs approved, then.

Thanks!

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer