Portable glibc binary package

I'd like compile and distribute a binary glibc package that can be
installed in a user's home directory. High performance computing
systems are notorious for running decade-old distributions of Linux,
which makes it difficult to compile and run modern software, and
almost impossible to run binary executables from elsewhere. To update
glibc, I've had fantastic luck building glibc from source and
installing in a home directory. I'd like now to compile and distribute
a binary package of glibc for Linuxbrew (http://brew.sh/linuxbrew/),
called a bottle in Homebrew terminology
(https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/Bottles.md).

I feel like this portability would be technically possible if glibc
were compiled with --prefix=/ and then at run time determined its
prefix (relative to the libc.so.6 loaded by the dynamic interpreter)
and then added that prefix to all glibc files it accessed: other glibc
solibs, localization, config files, and so on.

This feature would be quite useful to me. Does it sound interesting
and/or useful to anyone else? How much work do you think it would be
to implement? Is there a simpler solution?

Cheers,
Shaun

http://sjackman.ca