How to build the elf interpreter (ld-linux.so.2/ld-2.17.so) as static library?

Hello,

I apologize if my question is not precise because I don't have a lot
of Linux related experience. I'm currently building a Linux from
scratch (mostly following the guide at linuxfromscratch.org version
7.3). I ran into the following problem: when I build an executable it
gets a hardcoded path to something called ELF interpreter.

readelf -l program

shows something like

[Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]

I traced this library ld-linux-so.2 to be part of glibc. I am not very
happy with this behaviour because it makes the binary very unportable
- if I change the location of /lib/ld-linux.so.2 the executable no
longer works and the only "fix" I found is to use the patchelf utility
from NixOS to change the hardcoded path to another hardcoded path. For
this reason I would like to link against a static version of the ld
library but such is not produced. And so this is my question, could
you please explain how could I build glibc so that it will produce a
static version of ld-linux.so.2 which I could later link to my
executables. I don't fully understand what this ld library does, but I
assume this is the part that loads other dynamic libraries (or at
least glibc.so). I would like to link my executables dynamically, but
I would like the dynamic linker itself to be statically built into
them, so they would not depend on hardcoded paths. Or alternatively I
would like to be able to set the path to the interpreter with
environment variable similar to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, maybe
LD_INTERPRETER_PATH. The goal is to be able to produce portable
binaries, that would run on any platform with the same ABI no matter
what the directory structure is.

Some background that may be relevant: I'm using Slackware 14 x86 to
build i686 compiler toolchain, so overall it is all x86 host and
target. I am using glibc 2.17 and gcc 4.7.x.

Regards,
BP