Re: glibc build error: linking nptl static - V2.17

>> Undefined references to weak symbols do not cause the static linker to
>> include an object file to satisfy the undefined reference.
> ----
> Oi! ... wish that worked for dynload as well -- i.e. just because a sym
> is referenced ldd will fail if it can't find it -- even if the program
> itself
> doesn't seem like it would make use of such (maybe it is and I don't
> know it).

If the program had an undefined reference to a symbol it must have a
definition somewhere at link time otherwise it would fail to build.

At runtime the situation is slightly different because lazy symbol
resolution means that shared library you need might not exist, and the
failure is only detected at the time the function symbol is called.

Lastly use --as-needed in the link command to reduce the set of
required dynamic libraries to the minimum needed to resolve undefined