glibc 2.15 and libasound

There's a problem that quite a few people have noted with recent glibc and libasound (specifically the use of libdl by the latter). I was hoping this might have gone away with glibc 2.15 but it's still there. Maybe it's not a glibc bug, though it looks rather like it. The symptom is that (e.g.) alsa's
"aplay" utility reliably segfaults when called to play a wav file.

I have inserted debugging statements in libasound (version 1.0.25, dlmisc.c), to announce all its uses of the libdl functions, and run aplay under valgrind (where it doesn't actually segfault). I'm attaching the results. It looks as if there's something wrong with glibc's do_lookup_x(): it's reading from freed memory in response to dlsym() following a successful invocation of dlopen() by libasound.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics