Re: error when installing glibc(builds o.k.)

On 3 Sep 2010, Justin Mattock outgrape:

> I seem to be hitting something here(below) Ive built glibc with gcc 4.6.0
> with glibc git two weeks ago without such an error, pulled this morning,
> and am now hitting this is this reported at all or do I have something wrong

Does 'make check' work? You should always *always always* run 'make check'
and make sure that you know why every failure is occurring and that it is
not problematic for your use.

btw, the way to install glibc without 'make install' or making a package
out of it is something like this:

make install_root=/tmp/glibc-install
cd /tmp/glibc-install/lib # or lib32, or lib64
mv * /lib

# then possibly point the dynamic loader symlink in /lib at the copy in /lib32
# or /lib64, using sln(1)

/sbin/ldconfig # possibly --format=new

# only then move or symlink all the rest

i.e. *move* it atomically into place using some command that does not
exec() additional dynamically-linked processes during the move
process. Nothing else can possibly be reliable. 'make install' tries to
make this work, but because nobody tests it that way it has a habit of
rotting.