Re: How to compile glibc debuginfo: valgrind complaining

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 02:23:20 cswanson@ns1.sysdel.com wrote:
> Stats: Fedora 12 base minimal install, compiled glibc 2.10.1, gcc-4.4.2,
> binutils-2.19.
> Followed Linux from Scratch directions (more or less). Did not replace
> system libraries.
> Valgrind compiled with new tool chain.
>
>       This question is actually a prelude to a wider issue that may come in
> another cry for
> help. :)
>
> Valgrind 3.5.0 is reporting the following message:
>
> valgrind:  Fatal error at startup: a function redirection
> valgrind:  which is mandatory for this platform-tool combination
> valgrind:  cannot be set up.  Details of the redirection are:
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  A must-be-redirected function
> valgrind:  whose name matches the pattern:      strlen
> valgrind:  in an object with soname matching:   ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
> valgrind:  was not found whilst processing
> valgrind:  symbols from the object with soname: ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  Possible fixes: (1, short term): install glibc's debuginfo
> valgrind:  package on this machine.  (2, longer term): ask the packagers
> valgrind:  for your Linux distribution to please in future ship a non-
> valgrind:  stripped ld.so (or whatever the dynamic linker .so is called)
> valgrind:  that exports the above-named function using the standard
> valgrind:  calling conventions for this platform.
> valgrind:
> valgrind:  Cannot continue -- exiting now.  Sorry.
>
> The command 'file' output:
>
> $file /usr/local/tools-0.0.2/lib/libc-2.10.1.so
> /usr/local/tools-0.0.2/lib/libc-2.10.1.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
> x86-64, version 1
> (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.33, not
> stripped
>
> This output seems to say the dynamic linker is not stripped, so I must be
> missing something.

libc-<ver>.so is not the dynamic linker, it's the C library.  you might be
running valgrind incorrectly anyways ... if you arent installing glibc into
the natural / paths, you need to take special care in executing programs.
search the glibc wiki for more info.
-mike