Re: Question on glibc: free() API

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Tvrtko Ursulin
<tvrtko.ursulin@sophos.com> wrote:
> Please excuse me with jumping in but I have a related question.
>
> If one had a dynamic executable built on a LinuxThreads system (glibc without
> NPTL support), will it have this problem when ran in a modern glibc
> environemnt? Or will it need a recompile against NPTL glibc to benefit from
> all changes?

First question. No, once you upgrade to a NPTL enabled libpthread you
should see much better performance. In practice you need to upgrade
everything built by the libc sources (to provide the new NPTL enabled
libpthread, the kernel (to provide futex support), and gdb (to fix a few
quirks when debugging NPTL enabled applications).

Second question. In general you do not need to recompile your application
to make use of a newer NPTL enabled libpthread. This is the point of a library
with a standard API and ABI. You only need to upgrade your system libraries.