Re: inlining failed

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> This looks like a nice patch, have you submitted it as an enhancement
>> in the bugzilla?
>
> Nope. I didn't know that was where enhancements were tracked (as opposed
> to bugfixes), and I didn't have any idea if the patch was any good at
> all, or even useful... I was sort of hoping for comments. 'Nice patch'
> counts :)

Your patch has a lot of problems, but I like the idea.

Issues:
1. There should be a configure switch to enable the use of libssp with glibc.
2. Conditionalize or use a variable to represent -lssp should be used.
3. Use lib_cv_ssp which is checked?

> (I also assumed that every distro out there had probably done something
> like this, until I checked and found that a lot of them just force off
> stack protection for all of libc. Since only ld.so is really allergic to
> it, this is excessive.)

Development gets done whenever and wherever a developer submits a patch :-)

> I also thought most of the work on new glibc features was done on
> libc-hacker, not bugzilla, and hence that not much work *was* being
> done, since libc-hacker seems to be pretty much dead. If bugzilla is the
> place to be these days, that puts a different light on things.

IMO the bugzilla is king.

>> Could you also submit this to eglibc? Embedded targets could make good
>> use of this.
>> (patches@eglibc.org http://www.eglibc.org/mailing_lists)
>
> I'll attach/submit once I've updated the patch to 2.9, probably
> tomorrow.

Thanks!

>>> Nobody commented, not even with regard to the apprarent stack corruption
>>> in strtol() spotted by running the testsuite with the stack protector on.
>>
>> If you think there is a bug in strtol() please open a bugzilla issue
>> along with your analysis. After all we are a volunteer project.
>
> I got lost inside the code tangle. All I really know is where the
> testcase crashes (in glibc 2.8, anyway) with -fstack-protector on, and
> with the patch applied anyone will be able to reproduce that, one hopes :)
>
> I'll open a bug once I've retested and verified that it still occurs,
> again, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again.