How to reduce locales size?

Hello,

I'm reducing size of locale fies by removing all unnecessary locale
files from /usr/share/locale/, I found there is a very big file
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, it is installed from glibc-common
package, I don't know which programs are using
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive? why do we need it?

I noticed localedef and build-locale-archive can generate
/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, but they seem not to work. Anybody knows
how to reduce their size? Thank you in advance.