Re: autoconf AC_PREREQ ?

Carlos, All,

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 17:22:38 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Why are you regenerating the configure scripts? Have you modified them?

No I haven't. What's happening is that I svn heckout the eglibc tree, build
a tarball with that for later re-use. Then, if I need to restart from fresh,
I untar the tarball to avoid suffering a whole svn checkout.

Then, make decide that the configure are out-of-date, and runs autoconf
against the pre-requisite configure.in files. Hence mu problem.

> A CVS checkout will almost always have the wrong timestamp for the
> configure.in files, therefore you should "touch" all the configure
> scripts after checkout. This will avoid their regeneration.
> The solution is to your problem is to set the environment variable
> AUTOCONF to the correct autoconf binary e.g. export
> AUTOCONF=autoconf2.50.

I by far prefer setting and exporting AUTOCONF rather than touching the
files. It sounds saner, touching is going in the back of make.

> There is no need to guess, INSTALL says you must use autoconf2.53 or newer.

So, why not state it explicitly in the configure.in files to avoid such
problems? AC_PREREQ exists just for that! If the wrong autoconf version gets
called, then a limpid error message is printed:
  FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
instead of the more criptics:
  autoconf: Undefined macros:
  ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
  ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
which seem to imply that autoconf is at fault, when it's not.

Thank you for the AUTOCONF= hint, I'll use that.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |