Re: new syscall stub support for ia64 libc

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:25:32PM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:
> Executive Summary:
>
>  Please apply this patch.  It's Good.
>
> Long version:
>
> The patch below adds new syscall support for ia64 Linux.  Compared to
> the earlier versions, it has a new autoconf test which ensures that
> USE_DL_SYSINFO only gets defined if the compiler uses an unwinder that
> is based on libunwind.  As explained earlier, the built-in unwinder
> for GCC is hopeless and so there is no point trying to support it.

The current IA-64 AT_SYSINFO_EHDR virtual DSO seems to be unfortunately
binary incompatible with older GCCs, which is IMHO a bad thing.
When kernel provides AT_SYSINFO_EHDR but userland doesn't grok it yet,
things should work the old way.
I think simply swapping the 2 PT_LOAD segments in virtual DSO would help,
ie. put PF_E segment before PF_R.
AT_SYSINFO_EHDR would point to the Elf64_Ehdr (followed by Elf64_Phdrs)
in the PF_R, ie. 0xa000000000020000.

I've briefly looked at .unwabi and will fix it in unwind-ia64.c as well
as other issues which I'll come over.

	Jakub