Re: patches for test-and-set without ll/sc (Re: thread-ready ABIs)

Machida Hiroyuki <machida@sm.sony.co.jp> writes:

>   * glibc change:
>
> 	We implement  test_and_set(addr, val) as follows,
>
> 		Do mmap /dev/tst to _TST_START_MAGIC, if not yet mapped.
> 		call _TST_START_MAGIC(addr, val)
>
> 	If we can't open /dev/tst then, use sysmips() as final resort.

First, the patch as it is unacceptable.  A file with copyright Sony?
All the code must be copyrighted by the FSF.  Sony will have to assign
the copyright for the code to the FSF.

Also, no such change can be accepted until the necessary kernel
changes are in the official kernel sources.  I cannot make any
exceptions since otherwise all kinds of people want to see support for
their local hack added.

Furthermore, the symbols were not available in version 2.2.  Therefore
they cannot be exported with this version.  It'll either be 2.2.6 (if
their ever will be such a release) or 2.3.

And finally, the patch should be sent to the glibc MIPS maintainer for
review.  The question is who feels responsible...