Re: K&R and ISO

> > I already did, when I brought the point to U.D., regex.[ch] is use in
> > many packages and will not compile without an ANSI C.  I'm a bit worry that
> > next time I'll look, it will need not only an ANSI C comp. but gcc.
>
> There has been no suggestion to reduce the level of support for ANSI C
> compilers other than GCC, and I don't think that retaining portability to
> all ANSI C compliant compilers will be a problem in the future.  I think
> that the libc team will happily continue to accept reports of
> nonportability to ANSI C compilers for these shared files as bonafide bugs.

Thank you, for the clarification.

> The remaining question is, is portability to non-ANSI C compilers is
> important to you at all,

Yes, it is.

> and if so, can you just you ansi2knr or protoize
> and be happy?

No. Certain semantics, will not pass like concatenation of strings
at compile time.

	printf ("hello " "world\n");

The same for line split: I think ANSI C demands that one use a \
but some compilers will complain some will not, if you don't put it.

	printf ("hello
world\n");

Obviously, I can not talk for all maintainers, but we do reuse code
from glibc regex, glob, etc .. to name a few.  Improvements in code such
as regex is valuable for many *utils tools.  If glibc decides
to provide supports for only ANSI C, then it is time to bid farewell
and exchange goodby kisses.

My life will just be a tad more complex.

--
au revoir, alain
----