Re: merge done

Geoff Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> On my system I think I have 35 copies of the en_DK LC_CTYPE, for
> instance, which come up to nearly 400k; and 22 copies of its
> LC_COLLATE, which is nearly 700k.

Well, if you look at the files you find that many are different.  And
with the new possibilities most of the LC_COLLATE definitions will
differ in the one or the other form.  This hasn't happened so far
because of it so difficult to describe without a terrible amount of
duplication.

For the LC_CTYPE stuff.  I could see a way how to avoid it but it is
not very clean.  The biggest part of the data is the table for the
isw*() and tow*() functions.  But since the encoding is almost always
UCS4 (there will be a few differences in future) it means the tables
are ideally the same, all filled with the information from the Unicode
tables.  But there are possibilities to differ:

- there can be non-standard character classes or conversions

- there can be intentionally differences  for whatever reason

- the wchar_t encoding is different

What I'd like to have is a test in localedef whether the Unicode
tables are ok or not.  If they are ok to use then no tables for these
functions are emitted.  Maybe make the test depending on
POSIXLY_CORRECT more or less strict (e.g., if the nvvar is not set
simply test that no bit cleared in the builtin tables would be set in
the loaded tables).