Re: small project

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> Not that I don't like this idea, but another, more general solution also
> comes to mind.  We could move the locale data structures out of global
> variables and provide a way for a thread to change its per-thread current
> locale without changing the global one used for other threads.  This seems
> like it could be useful in general, e.g. for a network server that reports
> results to different clients in different languages/formats.

This is, I think, the next step.  You certainly have seen that many
things are already prepared for this.  Locales are objects.  From
there it is not such a big step creating a function `setthreadlocale'
or so.  I don't want to introduce this before the locale
implementation is complete and the selection in the fopen() parameters
is still useful since i won't require you to change the locale.  E.g.,
in situations like this:

	fd = socket (...);

	read (fd, &header, sizeof (header));

	<... determine charset from header ...>

	snprintf (buf, sizeof (buf), "r,ccs=%s", charset);

	fp = fdopen (fd, buf);