Re: __register_frame_info problem on Alpha

On Wed, May 26, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:
>
> > I would like to not see this symbol in libc.so.6.1. Or we will have
> > again this problems, because current Alpha distributions doesn't have
> > this symbol, and our SuSE Linux AXP Beta also. So the first
> > distribution after a new egcs/gcc version will have this symbols,
> > and we have the problems again.
>
> We cannot have this function simply missing.  It is actively used.
> And since libgcc is no shared object it is picked up and put in the
> shared lib.
>
> If the compiler has such a big change there is no backward
> compatibility guaranteed.  Simply let the people use the right
> versions.  If somebody updates a compiler independent from the rest of
> the distribution s/he must be prepared to do some more work (e.g.,
> installing a new libc which you can provide).

It is not the problem what the people do. It is a very big problem
for distributors. All Distributors have a glibc on Alpha without
__register_frame_info. Nobody could do the switch and use a new
compiler. The first who do this becomes big problems with software
vendors, because they couldn't use this distribution as development
platform for all Linux distributions.

Yesterday I got an email, if it is really necessary to make
three versions of his product: libc5, glibc2.0 and glibc2.1.
Should he now make 4 ? one with register_frame_info, one without ?

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg