Re: Integrating BIND 8.2

   Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 02:59:58 -0400
   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>

       but this can't be considered completely reliable since it is
       contradicted by the "DNSSAFE LICENSE TERMS":

   DNSSAFE is certainly not free software; we cannot include it in the
   GNU system.  So we need a free replacement for it.  (I have never
   heard of this before and I don't know what job it does.)

DNSSAFE is a (probably crippled, such that it is only usable with
BIND) version of RSA Data Security's BSAFE RSA library, and since it
uses the RSA algorithm it is covered by the RSA patent.

   Would you (or Kettenis) like to write a free replacement?

I'm working on the mandatory DSA algorithm (which can be implemented
without infringing any patent AFAIK) right now.  I can do the
recommended RSA algorithm after I've finished these, but you poor
folks in the US would not be able to use them before the US patent
expires.  I think it's better that I do the work since that will
(probably) lead to a more consistent API.

Mark

P.S.

The copyright statement in the source files is really funny:

/* Copyright (C) RSA Data Security, Inc. created 1993, 1996.  This is an
   unpublished work protected as such under copyright law.  This work
   contains proprietary, confidential, and trade secret information of
   RSA Data Security, Inc.  Use, disclosure or reproduction without the
   express written authorization of RSA Data Security, Inc. is
   prohibited.
 */

I have a copy of the dutch "Auteurswet 1912" (copyright law) and
according to my reading, inclusion of DNSSAFE in BIND is a clear case
of "publishing" (openbaar maken).  So the senetence "This is an
unpublished work protected as such under copyright law." is
meaningless.  And the sentence "This work contains proprietary,
confidential, and trade secret information of RSA Data Security, Inc."
really makes me laugh.