Re: ld.so version map

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
   Date: 11 Feb 1999 15:46:19 -0800

   Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.columbia.edu> writes:

   > I had a patch that copied libc.map and removed that one function,
   > would this be preferable in your opinion?

   I think this is not worth it.  You could have the same problem with
   other functions.

   Anyhow, for Linux it's not what we will do.  The current code is
   correct (for Linux) and it produces a faster and smaller ld.so binary.

It is not correct (even for Linux), unless you want to break all code
that overrides for example `__open' to do automatic decompression of
dlopen'ed modules.

Also, in the current situation `errno' cannot be changed by code in
the dynamic linker.  And I guess there are even more of these
problems.

By the way, Solaris DOES export quite a few symbols from its dynamic
linker, among these are `_open' and `_write' but also `strcmp' and
`strlen'.  I can send you the complete list if you want.

Mark