Re: What is detect_conflict good for?

Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> The function detect_conflict contributes more than 35% (!) to the runtime
> of the command "LC_CTYPE=de_DE df .".  This is not acceptable.  Do we
> really need it?

The function is necessary for the hierachical gconv-modules files.
Users can have their own directory with modules.  Without such a
complex detection of conflicts we have problems during the lookup as
has been shown in the change of the NF_Z_62-010_1973 charset change.

The real solution I would like to see is to have a program liek makedb
which generates a single database (maybe in the user directory) which
contains a database of all the information.  See the point 22 in PROJECTS.