Symbol versioning question

When I updated the glibc in Sparc version of Debian, I found that I
could no longer link (at compile time) programs against a couple of
the shared libraries on the system.  A typical example is that it
claims it can't find the symbol "_popen@GLIBC_2.0" referenced by
libgpm.so, where libc contains both GLIBC_2.1 and GLIBC_2.0 versions
of the symbol.

Run time linking works fine.

My conclusion is that the compile time linker can't see older versions
of the symbols.  Is this an intended feature?

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu