changes for 2.1

Hi,

I've checked in quite a number of changes.  Several of them come from
Geoff.  There is one more from him which is not yet in but I'm working
on it.

One of his changes seems to fix the problem with LinuxThreads with
caused often segfaults.

He also proposed some more fucntionaltiy for the segfault.c file.
First it now can be registered for other signals as well (I've
implemented it a bit different than he suggested and made this use
optional, triggered by an environment variable).  Beside this a
register dump can now be performed first.  We just need appropriate
definitions for the machines.  See the register-dump.h fiels for i386
or powerpc.