Re: Has anyone looked at ELF 4.1?

>    From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
>    Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:42:55 -0700 (PDT)
>
>    >    The purpose of EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION is to tag the OS and ABI.
>    >    I think we should register ELFOSABI_LINUX and define it as 1. It may
>    >    make many things easier for us. Right now, after I upgrade from
>    >    glibc 2.0 to 2.1, groff (man) no longer works since the C++ ABI in
>    >    glibc is changed.
>    >
>    > This should work anyhow, using the mechanisms we already have.  I
>    > believe it would be a mistake to attempt to characterize library
>    > versions using EI_ABIVERSION.
>    >
>    > How precisely would you use ELFOSABI_LINUX to fix this problem?
>
>    The problem with groff is the symbols in libstdc++ are not versioned.
>    The result is the new stdin/stdout/stderr defined in libstdc++ have
>    the linkage for the old stdin/stdout/stderr. I don't know how hard
>    to add symbol versioning to libstdc++. With more and more commercial
>    softwares available for Linux while glibc 2.1 is still in beta, the
>    100% backward binary compatibility is a major concern. I'd like to
>    address with the new ELF specs.
>
> You don't have to use symbol versioning.  You can just change the name
> of the library in the usual ELF way.  That is easy, and it prevents
> any versioning problems due to library code.

# ldd /usr/bin/groff
        libstdc++.so.2.8 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 (0x40007000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4004c000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40065000)

The problem is /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 was compiled again
glibc 2.0.x. When running on a glibc 2.1 machine, /lib/libc.so.6
is glibc 2.1, which supports the same C ABI in glibc 2.0 using
the symbol versioning. But glibc 2.1 has a different C++ ABI.
Please keep in mind that libio in glibc has 2 ABIs, one for C
and the other for C++.

> If groff once worked, and then broke, then it sounds as though
> somebody must have made an incompatible change to the libstdc++
> library interface.  Anybody who makes an incompatible change must
> change the library version number.  Using the new ELF specs won't save
> us from that sort of failure; it is equivalent to failing to increase
> the version number in the ELF specs.

The problem is the incompatible C++ ABIs in libio between glibc 2.0
and glibc 2.1.

> What do the new ELF specs give us that we don't get from symbol
> versioning and changing library names?

We didn't change the library name of libc since the C ABI is ok.
The problem is the C++ ABI in libc. It is very unique to Linux
since we use the same code in libio for both libc and libstdc++.

>    May I suggest:
>
>    1. Add switchs to ld to set EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION.
>    2. For Linux, set EI_ABIVERSION with C ABI and C++ ABI.
>
> 	   EI_ABIVERSION = (0xf & C_ABI) | (0xf0 & C++_ABI)
>
> What precisely do you mean here by C_ABI and C++_ABI?  You presumably
> do not mean the version of the library, because there is no need to
> record that.

No. I mean the ABI version, like

#ifdef glibc 2.0
#define CXX_ABI	0
#define C_ABI	0
#elif defined glibc 2.1
#define CXX_ABI	1
#define C_ABI	0
#endif

> Four bits only gives you sixteen versions, which is not a lot.

I think 16 is more than enough. We may want 3 bits for C++
and 5 bits for C.

>    3. ld sets EI_OSABI depending on target if it is not set at the command
>    line.
>
> How does ld determine EI_OSABI?

Linker script? We already pass "-dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2" to ld for
Linux. We can pass another one if necessary.

>    4. ld sets EI_ABIVERSION depending on EI_ABIVERSION in the shared
>    library used to build an ELF binary if it is not set at the command
>    line.
>
> This seems pointless.  The library version number is already recorded
> in the DT_SONAME entry.  If it isn't, then where is it, and how does

I am talking about C/C++ ABI version. soname is mainly for C programs
which don't care about the C++ ABI.

> ld determine EI_ABIVERSION?

When we build a dynamic ELF object on Linux, we should always pass
-lc to it. ld can get EI_ABIVERSION from libc.so.

>    5. The dynamic linker will check both EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION when
>    choosing which shared library to load. With that, we can have both 2
>    libc.so.6 with different EI_ABIVERSIONs in different directories.
>
> Why would we want such a thing?
>
> How precisely will this approach help with groff?
>
> I think we have a problem with using multiple libraries which are
> linked against different versions of libc.  However, I don't see how
> EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION can help with that.
>
> We already have two library versioning schemes: DT_SONAME, and symbol
> versioning.  Why do we need a third?  What deficiency in the existing
> schemes does it address?

We may want to load a different libc.so.6 depending on the C++/C ABI
version. For groff, on glibc 2.1, we want

# ldd /usr/bin/groff
        libstdc++.so.2.8 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 (0x40007000)
        libm.so.6 => /usr/glibc-2.0/lib/libm.so.6 (0x4004c000)
        libc.so.6 => /usr/glibc-2.0/libc.so.6 (0x40065000)

H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)