Re: full pathnames in libc.so linker script

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> What was the problem with letting ld do the searching?

Yes.  If you have a libc.so.6 in your current directory (no libc.so)
and you are now linking a program using /usr/lib/libc.so the file
referenced by the linker script will be the one in the current
directory and not the one in /lib.

I'm in this situation every day since the libc.so on my machine here
has no absolute paths and when I run configure in a directory where I
already have compiled glibc, the configuration will fail.  It tries to
use the new libc and the /lib/ld.so which does not work.

Ian also knows about this problem but we were not able to come up with
a solution other than using absolute paths.